Monday, March 11, 2013

Future BFFs?

I recently saw a picture idea on Pinterest of two pregnant women. They were belly to belly holding a sign that read "Best Friends" with arrows pointing to their bellies. This got me thinking...

My daughters' ages align with a number of my friends' and coworkers' kids. Yesterday while standing in the hall talking with a few of these people I started thing about whether or not my kids will be friends with theirs. Both of these coworkers have / will have a kid who will grow up along side each of my daughters. They will go to the same school and be in the same grade and maybe even the same class.

I do consider these coworkers as my friends, but would we naturally have found friendships if we didn't have to work with each other? We are all very different; would our personalities have gotten along well?

What about our kids?

If my daughters are a lot like me and her son and her daughter are just like them, will these two pairs get along? Will we all get together over the summer to go swimming and have to hear from our back seats, "Do we HAVE to go play with them!?"...or will they already be planning on how they can connive their way into another play date or sleepover with their best friend once we get there?

I am hoping for the latter.

Either way, I am excited to see our kids grow up together.

10 comments:

  1. I get to look at playdates in the rearview mirror, now that my two are teens (one edging into twenty!). I didn't work close to home, so the opposite was true for us--I became friends with their friends' parents. Not so much now, as their circles widen...and that's okay, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wished the same for my daughters with some of the moms in the neighborhood. Our girls were close, but drifted apart. I remain friends with the moms. We realized that the kids we have that are not the same age actually have more in common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had (have) many of the same questions as a new mom, and now as the mom of teens. I have to trust that my kids will have the ability to find, make and keep good friends without my help, seeing as I never was very successful at it. So far, so good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! I can only imagine our two will share stories of how crazy their mothers are and how to take care of their curls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best friend and I have daughters the same age that are now teens. Even though we live in different states and don't see each other more than once or twice a year, our daughters consider each other friends and look forward to our visits. It's funny, personality wise, my daughter is more like my friend, and her daughter is more like me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to think, they will be friends. Very sweet slice! Think of all of the crazy things those kids will do in our hallway at the end of the day. Maybe our hallway will become the kickball hall. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lordy! At least it's just us and Denise down there so they won't be bothering other teachers :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oh Lordy! At least it's just us and Denise down there so they won't be bothering other teachers :)

      Delete
  7. My children are grown - and I have learned along the way that they had much better insights about how to choose their friends than I did. Proximity is one thing, but kindred spirits are always the best! And they can be found almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete